Friday, June 8, 2007

One Year

That's how long it has been since I first held my tiny, 5-weeks-early baby boy in my arms. Today is Logan's first birthday.

A year ago I had already been in the hospital for a week...my water broke at 34 weeks. Everyday I sat in that hospital bed, I prayed that the doctors could stall labour for just one more day. At 34 weeks gestation every day in the womb comes with huge leaps in development, readying the baby for the outside world. We staved off labour for 7 days.

When labour finally started, I couldn't help but worry about what issues the baby might be facing being 5 weeks premature. Turns out GERD was the only thing he had to deal with and, as difficult as it has been, I have to remind myself that it could have been much worse.

Logan - 1 day old
the NICU was his first home

Now it's a year later, and he's growing like a weed. He just started cruising along the furniture a couple of days ago. I'm sure it will be no time before he is a walking, talking, busy, curious troublemaker leaving behind him a path of destruction and chaos...just like his big brother. The daily changes are absolutely amazing to watch.

But I'm finding myself a little weepy today. After all, I've reached a transition in my life as a mom. I suddenly seem to be the mother of a toddler, and a soon-to-be toddler. Logan isn't a baby anymore, my one year old little man. We've had the two children that we wanted and planned for. The baby era is coming to a close.

And even though he's getting older by the day, I hope he will never grow out of his love for mommy-cuddles.

Happy Birthday, my beautiful Logan. I love you more each and every day!

Logan - 1 year old
my little pool shark


Logan - 1 year old
with his birthday balloon...this kid l-o-v-e-s him some balloons!



Logan - 1 year old
This smiling face always makes me melt!

add to sk*rt

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Ain't nothing like mama-ache.

Congratulations, you are doing such a beautfiul job of raising wonderful men.

I believe that there will always be wisps of our babies inside.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful boy! Happy birthday!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Wow...he's just beaming with happiness isn't it?

Sarahviz said...

Lovely words momma!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julia said...

I can relate! It goes by so fast. I am not having anymore either and mourned when my littlest turned one. Happy B-day to Logan!

Anonymous said...

awww Happy Belated Birthday!! Oh Cate - he is a heartbreaker! I hope you guys had a wonderful birthday!