Wednesday, June 13, 2007

F*ckin' Blogger!

Blogger is pissing me off....

I've read in the past that Blogger users, like Jennifer, Brillig and Jenny, have been having bloggy problems such as disappearing posts and the like. It seems Blogger snatched them away and banished them to the Blogospheric black hole never to be seen again. I have been hoping that wouldn't happen to me.

Well...it hasn't....yet. But I fear that it won't be long. Blogger seems to be in a state of cluster-fuckness, and I'm growing weary of it.

Blogger recently added an autosave glitch bug feature. Now it seems that I have problems saving. When I click the little blue "Save Now" button, I get a message telling me that my request to save cannot be processed. It happens with ever. single. post. This is a problem. You see...as the mom of 1 and 2 year old walking crawling bringers of disaster little boys, it is rare that I can finish writing a post in one shot. I find it easier to write it a bit at a time over a couple of hours, saving as a draft in between.

But if Blogger doesn't save, Cate doesn't have a draft of her post to continue writing later. This makes for a cranky Cate.

I also had a rather strange thing happen to my blog the other day. After posting Seeing Red, I thought I would show my hubby. Upon loading the page, we noticed something odd. All of the Blogger text (for example, the names of the months in the Blog Archive widget) appeared to be in Italian rather than English. Umm.....what the fuck? Last time I checked, I didn't speak Italian...

The ever-so talented Jennifer of Playgroups are No Place for Children fame was thinking of moving to Wordpress, but found it too complicated, so I had given up on that idea. I'm wondering if I should reconsider. I mean, what's worse....lost posts, or the complexity of using Wordpress? I'm not sure. According to a post I read on BlogMommas.com yesterday, the new version of Wordpress allows you to import from the new Blogger.

Is this a sign that now is the time to move? I'm not sure. All I know is that the next straw might just be the last one.

So....Wordpress users....Blogger users....what are your thoughts?

add to sk*rt

10 comments:

karla said...

I kinda have a thing for blogger. I don't know...I tried signing up for wordpress, but I just didn't like it. Lots of people love it though. I think I am rare breed to say that I am happy with blogger, but if I was having issues with it like you, then I would probably be looking elsewhere as well.

Pregnantly Plump said...

Blogger kicked me off this morning, and when I got back on, it had only "autosaved" my first sentence. But it wasn't a long post. I'm also slow to change. It seems like it would be hard.

Anonymous said...

I am a wordpress user...I never have problems like that. It saves automatically as I am typing a post. I have never had a post gone missing or deleted.

I just wonder what others are like. I thought about Blogger a while back but changed my mind because of all the problems.

Why not try wordpress for a day or two and see what you think. It took me a little while to get used to (I was new to blogging), but I really do like it. It has lots of bells and whistles. Hopefully, you will h ave someone else compare that knows more.

Good luck C!

Anvilcloud said...

Blogger gets fritzy every now and then, but then it seems to work well for a lengthy period. It's easier to use than Wordpress and more flexible in terms of customizing the template.

Jennifer said...

Wordpress isn't hard for people who know what they are doing. I'd recommend going through wordpress.com and getting your own domain name if you decide to make the switch.

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

Wish I had advice for you. I like Blogger, but haven't used anything else (or looked into anything else). Good luck!

J. A. Blackburn said...

I totally want to switch to Wordpress. Some day I think I will. Other (bigger, better) bloggers than me who've done it longer tell me that Wordpress (the paid version) is better for a myriad of reasons. My problem right now is I don't want to deal with all the inevitable hassle of the switch, not to mention learning a new blogging tool. So for now I'll just sit here and complain!!

Brillig said...

I know... YOU try it, and report! And then I'll jump ship if it's working out okay for you!

Amanda said...

I'm very new at this, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I wonder if it could be the browser you're using. I use a Mac and when I first started using Blogger I was using Safari and having a lot of problems, especially with uploading images. Since I've switched to Firefox 2.0.0.3 I haven't had any problems.

Cate said...

I actually use a Mac...but I've never used Safari...I'm a Firefox girl all the way!

The problems only started when they added the new autosave feature...so I don't think it's a browser problem. Maybe I should use my PC for posting for a while just in case! Thanks!