Friday, June 22, 2007

Happy Birthday To Me (and my dad)!

Happy Birthday to me (and my dad)!
Happy Birthday to me (and my dad)!
Happy Birthday dear Ca-ate (and Cate's dad)!
Happy Birthday to me (and my dad)!

Yup...it's my birthday today. But it's also my dad's birthday. Rather than bore you with yet another story about me (although I know you all l-o-v-e them...don't deny it!), I would rather tell you about my dad.

My dad was born in Denmark a couple of months after the Nazi occupation began in 1940. He was 5 years old when the Nazis finally retreated from Denmark...I have heard many stories from both my dad and my grandmother about that day. It gives me chills.

He and his family moved to a farm in Canada in 1955. Since he was the oldest and his help was needed on the farm, he stayed home and worked while his younger brother and sisters went to school. Dad and his family learned English just by being around English-speaking people. That amazes me.

Dad met my mom, who is also Danish, through a mutual friend. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I was born on my dad's 34th birthday. I love that. There is no one I would rather share my birthday with...even though he sometimes pretends to forget when my birthday is. Nice try, dad!


my dad and a freshly new me


my dad adored me...who wouldn't?


me and my dad...hangin' out


my dad's 35th birthday, my 1st


I have so much love, respect and adoration for my dad. He is one of the most generous and caring people I have ever known. He'll give you the shirt off his back if you need it.

He is also one of the most intelligent people I've ever know. I am continually amazed by how smart he is. He knows more history and world geography than I could ever hope to know. He can take a tractor completely apart to fix it, and put it back together just by common sense. I've seen it! There were piles of nuts, bolts, washers, thing-a-ma-gigies, what-ya-ma-call-its and everywhere, and he still managed to reassemble it. Incredible.

He once helped my brother with his University-level mechanical engineering class. Andrew had been struggling with a calculation...dad stepped in and just....did it. Amazing.

All of this with no formal education or training. He's either learned through reading, life experience, or he....he just knows. He's that smart.

He's the guy we ask advice from for anything home reno or car related. He's also our most trusted weather man. He watches the weather on all the local channels, and the Weather Network. He's fascinated by weather, and knows all there is to know. If you're wondering what the weather is gonna be like on the West Coast of Canada on Tuesday, in New England next week, or pretty much anywhere in the world....call my dad....he'll know.

His nickname is MacGyver. This man can build anything out of anything. Seriously....I kid you not.

My dad has an awesome sense of humour....he's a silly silly man! And because of that he's the perfect grandfather for my boys. Really, he's just a big kid at heart.


my dad gives the best hugs


my dad's a cool cat


my dad kept me from totally breaking down right before walking down the aisle


I am so very lucky that my dad and I are so close, and I will always be grateful for that


my dad can always make me smile


Every June 22nd, my dad and I get to call each other and say "Happy Birthday!" and "Happy Birthday to you too!". How many people get to do that?

My dad turned 67 today...and he has more fun than most people half his age. He's incredible.

Happy Birthday dad....you're truly the best, and I love you so much!

add to sk*rt

11 comments:

J. A. Blackburn said...

Happy Birthday, Cate! I hope it's fabulous!

Anonymous said...

How cool!!! Hope you had a great birthday!!!!

Btw, love the pic you have up, I'd so kill for your cheekbones!! :D

karla said...

What a beautiful tribute to your father. Happy Birthday to the both of you.

I share a birthday with my mom. Isn't having the same birthday as a parent way cool?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! That was such a sweet post in honor of your Dad, you made me mine. He was alot like your Dad in many ways by what you wrote.

Sarahviz said...

Birthday wishes to you (and your dad) from Massachusetts!

Jennifer said...

Happy belated birthday to both of you! Thanks for sharing your pics, they're great.

My father's family is also from Denmark. My maiden name is Aistrup. Supposedly that's Danish.

Heather said...

Happy Birthday to you both! You are so blessed to have such a dad!

Karen said...

Found you through Absolute Bananas...
Happy Belated Birthday to you and your dad.
What a beautiful tribute!
Bookmarking your site. :)

Brillig said...

Yay yay! Happy Birthday to you both!

Anonymous said...

Oh Happy Belated Birthday to you and your papa! What a wonderful tribute to him. Great pics!!

polkadot said...

Happy belated birthday -- my littlest daughter's name is Cate!